Kana Ndiwa Education Trust (KNET)
KNET assists orphans and other vulnerable children in Kasaala, Tsavo East, to access education in secondary school, polytechnic, college and university. In Kenya primary and secondary education is has been declared 'universally free'. But the reality on ground is that the government contributes at most 10% of the total fees required to keep a child in primary or secondary school. The remaining 90%, paid by parents or guardians, must cover everything from children desks, learning resources, uniforms and exam fees to salaries for security guards and cooks. Government stipends do not even cover enough teaching staff, meaning extra teachers must be employed by Board of Governors and paid for by parents. These extra costs have locked out many children from the education system in Africa, because children from parents who cannot pay have no choice but to miss out on formal education. This is why the KNET initiative was founded: to respond to the needs of children from poor families in Kaasala who are unable to access education. We believe education is the best way to fight human poverty in our village. Please read about Recruitment of deserving children for sponsorship in KNET before you make you donations.